Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Haven't we talked enough?

Today I spoke about a body of work I have discussed hundreds of times. Now, I love to talk about art, my own, yours, that random person sitting over there... but there is only so much I can take! This is what was running through my mind, the dread of repetition. In retrospect I know it was really the dread of the unknown, the vulnerable, the truth. As I was talking and pointing and listening to various people I realized that once again it was different; the story had changed and revealed another little piece to me, the artist.
Epiphany siting: The more I speak to a live audience about my work... the more honest I can be with myself about what it truly means.
I know this seems like a simple idea, but whenever I feel disappointed, disenfranchised, disillusioned by a critique it is almost always because I lacked the honesty with my viewers and just as often, myself.
So, I hope for you what I also hold as my goal... to be an honest creator, or perhaps to be honest in your dishonesty.

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful.”-Edward R. Murrow

xoxo,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment