Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: Christian Suchecki and Sophia Mariano



Christian's alternative work draws the viewer in with larger then life portraits. These cyanotype's are pieced together in such a highly constructed way I can't help but become deeply invested in the Artist's Hand. Varying shades of blue unite a group of people who otherwise could have nothing in common and I begin to look at them in such a way that I would never have before. I know I would pass them by on the street or at the bar, but here, in tattered imagery they turn into emotion that pleads for my attention. 




Sophia creates a stream of profiles lining the wall. The images are shown with the smallest detail on glass and speak to the universal way of communicating. This tried and true act of the profile, the human form is as universal as it is unique. But I am not an observer, I do not feel as though they are me and I am them. Rather, I feel as though this is a call to thought, an analysis of human beings. The glass they are printed on becomes a massive slide for me to peer at through a microscope. These objects are both precious and industrial with large bolts keeping them in place but their very existence borders on fragile. 


Reception 6-9 this Friday the 13th!

well done
xoxo,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment