Monday, April 23, 2012

Claire Desalme: Escapes


While depicting nature through photographic form is a raging challenge, this body of work rose to that and I believe successfully conquered my own bias and baggage surrounding this heavily historied photographic genre. I don't think of nature when I look at it, it has transcended that frame and pushed me into another, a place that could surround me with its calm color palette and unnerve me with its own point of view. The positioning of the horizon line borders on unsettling, and I question if I could possibly go there or if I am stuck, a wanderer who never reaches a destination. These ideas of place, certainty, and direction (be it specific or ambiguous) are crucial in this work. But others have been there before me, I look at what they left behind, or what it left behind-- there is the knowledge of the other. Perhaps they were as lost as I am, and yet I begin to believe this way of being lost is a mere term, neither negative or positive... it just is. I enter into this expanse of landmarks and they are a tribute to different states of being, to emotional states, to subconscious states, they are an image of the resting place.
Congrats!
xoxo,
Charlie

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across your post and see that you have added here wonderful image, really great photography, he is a great photographer who captured this amazing photo.

    http://www.canvasdesign.co.uk

    ReplyDelete